This flourless chocolate torte is rich and decadent with its truffle-like texture and silken ganache topping infused with subtle floral notes of Cherry Blossom green tea.
Cherry Blossom Infused Chocolate Torte
- 24 ounces high quality dark chocolate, chopped, divided into 16 and 8 ounces
- 8 ounces unsalted butter (2 sticks)
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 Tea Forté Cherry Blossom pyramid tea infuser, or 1 tsp loose tea*
- Rose petals to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a springform pan with parchment paper. Lightly grease the parchment paper and sides of the pan with butter. Double line the outside of the pan with foil to ensure no water leaks in when it is baked in a water bath.
- Place the 2 sticks of butter and 16 ounces of the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high at 30 second intervals until butter is mostly melted. Whisk together until chocolate and butter are fully melted and smooth. Set aside.
- Place the eggs in a heat-proof stand mixing bowl and place the bowl on top of a pot of boiling water. Whisk constantly until the eggs are warm to the touch. Remove from heat and beat on high for about 5 minutes, or until the eggs are pale and billowy and tripled in volume.
- Use a rubber spatula to fold the chocolate mixture into the whipped egg whites. Fold gently until no streaks remain.
- Pour the batter into the prepared springform pan. Place the pan inside of a larger oven-proof dish with deep sides. Fill the larger pan with 1 inch of hot water.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for 10 minutes. Lower heat to 350˚ F and bake for an additional 35 minutes. Remove from oven, remove cake pan from water bath and let cool for 30 minutes.
- Refrigerate until very cold, 3-4 hours. Run a hot wet knife around the sides of the pan, then remove the sides of the pan. Remove the parchment on the bottom and place cake on a serving dish.
- Once the torte has chilled, prepare the ganache topping: place the heavy cream in a saucepan over medium/high heat and bring just to a simmer. Turn heat off and add the Cherry Blossom pyramid tea infuser, or lose tea, to the cream. Let steep for 5 minutes.
- Remove the tea pyramid, or strain out the tea leaves, and bring the tea-infused cream just to a simmer again. Remove from heat. Place the remaining 8 ounces of chocolate in a bowl and pour the hot cream over the top. Let sit for 1 minute.
- Whisk the chocolate and cream together until a smooth, glossy mixture forms. Pour the ganache over the top of the chilled torte and smooth out. Garnish the top with rose petals.
Keep refrigerated, will keep for up to a week. For the cleanest slice, cut small slices with a hot, wet knife.
Yields: 1 torte, 12 servings
* Cherry Blossom pyramid infusers are available in Event Boxes, Petite Presentation Boxes, the Ruby Collection, Tea Forté Select among others. If using loose tea, Cherry Blossom is available in a Loose Tea Canister and in our Hanami Single Steeps Sampler.
More recipes you may enjoy
Cherry Blossom Cashew Cheesecake
The Health Benefits of Green Tea
Peach Blossom & Strawberry Ricotta Cake