We love the flavors of ripe, juicy citrus in late winter. We have created a simple and light citrus salad with other fresh elements like mint leaves and crunchy pistachios. It pairs well with a bright cherry vinaigrette made from Tea Forté’s Cherry Blossom tea. This salad is absolutely delicious, and will beautifully brighten up your table. Make the dressing ahead of time and store in the refrigerator in an air tight jar for up to 5 days.
Citrus Salad & Cherry Blossom Vinaigrette
IngredientsFor the salad
- 2 large navel oranges
- 1 cara cara orange
- 2 blood oranges
- 1 grapefruit
- ¼ cup pistachios, shelled
- 2 sprigs fresh mint
- ¼ cup fresh cherries
For the tea concentrate
- 2 Tea Forté Cherry Blossom pyramid tea infusers, or 2 tp of loose leaf tea
- ½ cup water
For the vinaigrette
- 1¼ cup fresh pitted cherries
- ¼ cup Cherry Blossom tea concentrate
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
DirectionsFor the salad
- Slice all citrus into wheels. To create citrus wheels, start by cutting off the top and bottom of the citrus fruit. To remove the skins, start with your paring knife at the top of the fruit and cut down, angling your knife to match the curve of the fruit. Be sure to remove all of the exterior skin and white pith. Slice the skinned citrus into ¼ inch wheels.
- Using a large knife, chop pistachios into fine pieces.
- Using a paring knife on a cutting board, remove pits from fresh cherries by rolling the knife around the middle of the cherry. Twist the cherry with your fingers in opposite directions to open the cherry and remove the pit.
For the vinaigrette
- Bring ½ cup of water to a boil, turn off the heat and steep two Cherry Blossom Tea pyramids in covered pot for 9 minutes. After 9 minutes remove and discard the pyramid infusers. If using loose tea, strain out the tea leaves after steeping and discard, reserving the steeped tea.
- Pit the cherries using the method described for the salad.
- Place pitted cherries, tea concentrate, vinegar, mustard, honey, and salt into a blender. Blend until smooth.
- With the blender on medium speed, slowly drizzle in the extra virgin olive oil to emulsify the vinaigrette. It will start to thicken and slightly lighten in color. Set dressing aside and keep chilled until ready to use.
- Drizzle 2 tbsp of the vinaigrette on the bottom of your plate into a desired design.
- Arrange the citrus wheels on top, alternating sizes and colors. Top with chopped pistachios, fresh mint leaves and pitted cherries.
Yields: 2 servings
* Cherry Blossom pyramid tea infusers are available in the Hanami Petite Presentation Box. Cherry Blossom is also available as a loose tea in a Loose Tea Canister and the Hanami Single Steeps® Sampler.
More recipes you may enjoy
This flourless chocolate torte is rich and decadent with its truffle-like texture and silken ganache topping infused with subtle floral notes of Cherry Blossom green tea.